Below is a list of resources that provide you with more information on settling, living and working in Alberta. 


General and Profession-Specific Resources

small underline

Coming to Canada

Pre-arrival services:

Pre-arrival service organizations assess the needs of families or an individual, and create a personalized plan to assist with settlement and life in Canada. These services are available to those who still reside in their home country but are preparing to move to Canada in the near future.

More Information

"Welcome to Canada" Booklet:

The "Welcome to Canada" booklet provides essential information about Canadian geography, healthcare, laws, education, employment, housing and other relevant topics.

More Information

Government of Canada Resources:

This Government of Canada website lists resources, services and pertinent information for new immigrants to Canada.

More Information

Free Canadian services near you:

Newcomer services assist immigrants with a job search, language assessment, language classes, settlement and community services. These organizations can be searched by entering your postal code.

More Information

Information on credential assessment: 

Learn the basics about credential assessment, regulated and unregulated professions, competencies and qualifications.

More Information

Alberta Learning Information Service (ALIS): 

Explore career pathways in the Alberta labour market.

More Information


Profession-Specific Information


Teacher Certification/License: 

To teach in Alberta, you are required to hold a valid Alberta teaching certificate (i.e. a "license").To learn more about eligibility requirements, credential assessment, required documentation and fees, visit the Government of Alberta website.

More Information

The Alberta Teacher Association (ATA): 

The Alberta Teacher Association is the professional organization that advocates on behalf of teachers of Alberta. 

More Information

Internationally Educated Teachers - Welcome to Alberta Booklet: 

The Internationally Educated Teachers booklet provides detailed information on becoming licensed and working as a teacher in Alberta.

More Information

Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials: 

Learn about the education system in Alberta. 

More Information

University of Alberta Diploma Program for Internationally Educated Teachers: 

The Diploma Program for Internationally Educated Teachers is a full-time 24-credit program to be taken over the course of Fall and Winter Terms (September through April). It includes a seminar and other activities specific to the internationally educated teacher cohort, as well as classes alongside Bachelor of Education students in the UAlberta Faculty of Education.

More Information